Saturday, March 05, 2016

Blankie Times

Image description: A large man sitting on a big chair, up on cement blocks with his feat on an ottoman covered in a red patterned blanket.
Both Joe and I were exhausted when we got home from work on Friday. Just exhausted. At one point, when we were coming down the hallway, Joe walking ahead, me following pushing myself along, he turned to me and said, "People need to remember that we are well into our 60's." I nodded agreement. I had expected, we both had expected, that somehow it would slow down as we got to this age.

But the thing with purpose, the thing with loving what you do, is that you that you are volunteering to to, is actually work. Work that tires you out. Work that takes time. Work that is, by definition, spent energy. So, I find when I'm engaged I don't think about getting tired but, oh my gosh, when it's over, I'm exhausted.

Many of you know that I am part of a team that is now putting on monthly free webinars which can reach a world wide audience. We had nearly 850 cites sign up for the one yesterday, and it was exciting to do. But I'm new to the role of  'interviewer' and therefore spend a lot of time in preparation, I read and reread the article that the interview is based on. I think through my own response to it and then ... wham, we're on air.

Yesterday was no different. But remember, this comes at 2:00, I've been at the office since 7:00AM and I've already had meetings, written reports, worked on the next month's article for the newsletter, answered a whack of emails and ... then ... we're live!

I am NOT COMPLAINING.

I'm just saying that my sixties aren't what I thought they'd be. I'm excited that we're going to be visiting the Maritimes, Massachusetts, Oregon, California, Alberta and Yukon over the next few months. I'm looking forward to seeing people we know there, meeting new people, learning from seeing how other people do things and listening to hear how other people conceive issues. It's a tremendous opportunity for growth.

I am lucky.

I know that.

But yesterday I just felt tired.

So, I curled up, in my chair, with my blankie and my cup of tea, and suddenly I felt like a man in his sixties should feel now and then, cosy.

5 comments:

ABEhrhardt said...

People underestimate the importance of work, possibly because for so many people it is simply the drudgery of doing what someone else tells you to do all day.

But having a passion about something gets you through life with the feeling of having spent your time well.

I lost the ability to work in physics when I became disabled 27 years ago. But I used what energy I had to homeschool the kids - and that was satisfying. And since, I taught myself to write, and published myself for the first time last Oct.

Having my writing to do every day gets me out of bed. I wish I could do more of what you do - but this I can do, and I am content. And yes, writing is very hard work. So?

You are doing good work. Slowing down is vastly compensated for by the wisdom you have acquired and bring to the job. You can be satisfied, however you need to slow down a bit as you age.

wheeliecrone said...

If you and Joe do not take care of yourselves, you are risking long-term damage to your health. The older you get, the more important it is to take care of yourself. It is a habit that it was very hard for me to learn.

I felt guilty when I gave time to myself. I "pushed on through". Until I fell over. Literally fell over. Smashed an arm, arm didn't heal, had to have a bone graft. Still didn't learn, had more damage, etc.,etc.

I have finally learned to take better care of myself. Without the attendant guilt. Now I ration my activities. And sometimes, I even say, "No.' when I am invited to do something.

In short, well done, you! Sitting quietly with your blankie and a cup of whatever is therapeutic activity!

Anonymous said...

Aging surprises you. I use to plan to do something almost every night and was disappointed if the plans fell through. I wanted to live to the fullness, be influenced and influence others. Now, I rejoice for an evening in. Ahhh, on goes the comfortable clothes (1 step up, or maybe sideways, from pj's) and then the possibilities begin. Tea, books, crafts, TV, music, the options are endless, and all done, if anything at all, in the comfort of my own home. Indeed, it is amazing what the accrued years bring. I believe the home-things we enjoy were once penned as "creature comforts". Bring them on!

Kristine said...

You're coming to Oregon! Just knowing you'll be here makes me smile. :)

Frank_V said...

I'm in my fifties, and with my dwarfism, I know that feeling of fatigue! When my six year old daughter naps in the afternoon, you can sure bet, this daddy naps too! (I'd never keep up with her otherwise.)