Sunday, June 14, 2015

My Head and My Heart Thank the Man Who Was Not Frank

We had parked just outside the hotel and I descended the ramp and made my way to the door. It's an older hotel and it doesn't have automatic doors. There was no one around to ask for help so I simply waited until Joe was ready to join me. Once in, I mentioned to the fellow behind the desk that there were no door openers. He nodded and said that the hotel was due for some renovations and that the door opener was on the list. OK, my mandatory 'by the way' conversation was out of the way.

After check in, I gave Joe the keys and asked if he wanted to join me shopping at a large store nearby. He was done with shopping, as we did some half way through the trip just as an excuse to get out of the van. I said I'd zip off and then meet him back at the room. He said he'd be at least ten minutes unloading the car. I laughed. I don't shop for 10 minutes.

So I went, along the side of the road, then across the road then down the large parking lot towards the store. I had a couple of particular things in mind, found approximations of them, bought them, and headed back. On my way back I worried that there wouldn't be anyone around to help me in. The wait for someone could be long. But when I rounded the corner I saw several people gathered around the door talking, having a few beer and smoking.

I rolled up, all jolly hockey sticks, and said, "Glad you are all here, could someone get the door for me?"

"For fuck's sake," said a bearded and bellied guy, "Don't they have a door button thing?"

:"No," I said, that's why I was glad to see you all."

He grabbed the door and opened it for me, quicker than his size or steadiness would have predicted. Another fellow said, "I'll go get the inside door." Perfect.

As I was going by the second guy, he reached out to give my head a pat, the first guy stopped him short by saying, "Geesssuss Frank keep your hands off him. He's a grown man in a wheelchair not a pet,"

I shouted out 'Thanks,' to the guy behind, but I don't think he heard me over Frank protesting that he was only being friendly. I didn't hear the conversation which continued on as I turned to head to the room.

But, my head, literally and my heart figuratively owe a debt to the man who spoke up.

11 comments:

CapriUni said...

Heh. Sometimes, I want to wear a hat with a design like this warning patch, but except with a human head profile, and the words: "Don't pet. I bite!"

CT said...

Aw, that's a good man. Keep sayin' it, not-Frank, until all the Franks hear it.

Anonymous said...

Love this!

B. said...

I do so enjoy these episodes of human progress. Thanks, Dave.

clairesmum said...

Great line by the man who was "not Frank"! Maybe you can steal it...to rebuff attempted head pats or to respond to those sneak attacks...or maybe tell the head patters to bend down so you can pat THEIR head! I know, lots of times you'd just rather it not happen at all...but since these moments of human maturity are so rare...
I don't pat a pet without asking first, and I would never pat a child or adult on the head...how degrading! Had a very tall boss who tried to do it once and I reflexively reached up to push his hand away as I stepped to the side...and then had to settle HIS ruffled feathers..he was the executive director of the nonprofit where I worked. He's still there. I'm not.

Princeton Posse said...

My goodness, Dave, you meet some interesting people!

Laura in Virginia said...

My daughter, who's a dwarf, has also experienced unwanted head-patting. These days, she warns people that if they do it, she bites. That usually stops them. But yay for not-Frank! Anybody whose head is at a lower height than the average standing human needs a not-Frank in their life!

Carolyn said...

This post was just tremendous. You certainly do meet some interesting people

Jenni said...

Hope you're OK Dave, and just quiet cos you're having a lovely honeymoon. xx

Purpletta said...

Hi Dave - Hope you are doing okay - Sending many well-wishes.

Pulau harapan said...

My Head and My Heart Thank the Man Who Was Not Frank