Monday, August 25, 2014

The Wave

What did he expect?

We got to the movie theatre about 15 minutes before the doors opened. Several other patrons arrived around the same time as we did. Amongst them was a young fellow, early twenties, with cool clothes and a stylish backpack. He was by himself and adopted a pose with indicated that he wasn't waiting for anyone. Like everyone else who arrived, we all nodded with each other but, typically for city dwellers, no one started a conversation.

When the doors opened, everyone rushed in, Joe and I waited for the space to clear and then entered ourselves. By the time we got to the front of the line for tickets, we were near the last left in the lobby. I got a cup of tea and a small popcorn, Joe a small Cola. We took our goodies and went to find the theatre.

When we entered we found an empty room, with the exception of the fellow with the backpack. He'd sat, on the aisle, second row from the back. In this theatre the two back rows are shortened rows so that wheelchair seating could be made available. We took the back row, immediately behind him, and fussed around a bit until my chair was parked and popcorn and drinks sorted.

You know the thing about being in an empty theatre and then someone coming and sitting next to you? Well, this was the disability version of the same thing. I had one option for a seat, and took it, apologetically.

His discomfort with us being right behind him was palpable. He squirmed and glanced back at us with annoyance.

I profess now to be a horrible person.

I kinda took a little pleasure in his discomfort. He knew that there was someone there with a disability, he knew that he was sitting beside wheelchair seating. I'm guessing he just thought we were there to see a different movie in a different salon. He played seating roulette - and lost.

Finally he launches himself out of his seat in a great huff and storms out of the theatre. I find this very, very, funny. A few seconds before the lights go down he comes back in and sits several rows up, in the middle. He glances back at us, again with annoyance.

And ... I couldn't help it.

I waved.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Perhaps it has been his experience that that seat is one where he is typically alone.

I go to the movies an hour before the show starts so I can get the one seat where I know that others can't sit near me. My sensory issues make it so that I would end up leaving half way through if I had to sit next or near strangers.

Maybe he has autism? Panic disorder? Phobias? We can never know what someone else is experiencing in their life.

Jeannette said...

And I can't help it: I grinned.
I'm still grinning.
I'll probably grin off and on all day.

theknapper said...

and he didn't wave back???!!!!

clairesmum said...

a much kinder gesture than some others that are in common use!
good on you, Dave. hope you and Joe enjoyed the movie!

Anonymous said...

:) This made me laugh! I guess I'm just unkind. I'm glad you waved at this entitled young man. He had alternatives! Good for you, Dave.

samm

Anonymous said...

You were more gracious than I. I entered a washroom that had 2 stalls. One usual one and one supposedly accessible. As I negotiated past the usual stall to the necessary accessible stall the door of the smaller stall suddenly opened and a woman around 30 stopped dead. Sigh..."You've got to be kidding", was her statement. I continued to negotiate the door in the confined space, feeling more pressure than necessary. "Don't you know how to use that thing?", she asked. "Sorry for delaying you", I replied, "and if you know of another alternative to this situation, I'd appreciate if you could let me know." I admit, the last statement was issued with sarcasm. She shut up until I passed. I should have waved...ha ha.

Anonymous said...

I am always amazed at the "ignorance" of people. People who move next to a SPCA and then complain about barking dogs. People who buy a condo on the waterfront of a harbour and then complain about boat horns and water planes. People who choose seats in a section set aside for those who need/use it and get upset that you are sitting too close. Honestly. There is a special nametag for those people.

joanne said...

Oh thank you Dave, I hope he "lightened" up a bit...
even if he has a "disorder"....a sense of humour sure helps.
You've certainly helped my disorder and I'll have an enlightened day. Keep smiling! (and waving) :)